Sunday, September 26, 2010

ENTRAILS


ENTRAILS are the best proof that Swedish old school death metal works until now. As I heard “Tales From The Morgue” first time, I felt a kind of nostalgia into my arthritic knuckles. So give it a listen and support that amazing band! I have talked with Jimmy, the leader of the pack.

Hi Jimmy, how are you. To release an album after 20 years is shit for the Guinessbook man. You must be a patient person!


Hey Jörg. Things are great. I'm working on some new stuff for the moment, but I'll answer your questions.
I'm quite patient, hehe. Better late than never. The story of my band is written on our myspace, very detailed.


Seriously, where have you been in the last 20 years?

After I put Entrails to sleep around the middle 90´s I began racing with cars instead, and didn't play at all for a several years. When I got tired of that I started playing in a small scale again, and bought a new guitar to see if the lust and spirit were still going....
I found my old box deep in the closet with tapes that contained all the old material from the early days. So I started to record some of them again after a few years and when I got to much nostalgia in my life so to speak. And 2009 I decided to make a demo and after that I managed to do one more before the end of the year... and now we are here with a fullength album. hehe


Tell me something about you and your comrades and the idea to re – animate ENTRAILS!

Hmm, I'm just an ordinary guy who lives in the bush and works alot when I don't play music. Mathias Nilsson is an old friend that I found again after 15 years, and he joined the band after a small discussion.
Jocke Svensson got in the band after Mathias recommended him. The same way about Adde Mitroulis. They both play in Birdflesh and some other bands.
The idea to restart the band has always been there, but it wasn't possible until now, because I had not the musicians. It became serious when I signed a record deal with FDA Rekotz. Before that it was just homemade demos for fun. Now we are going to do a small tour in Germany in November. If you miss it you must die!


I hope the songs on “Tales From The Morgue” are more than recycled legacy issues!

Well, all the songs are made from old material, because I have ALOT at home to go through and re-record. But that doesn't make it bad, in my opinion. Great riffs are great riffs, no matter when they were made.

Have you never thought about where the band might be today had ENTRAILS released these songs in the early days of Swedish Death Metal?

Actually, I met my old drummer some year ago and we discussed Entrails and how it should have been today if we had continued playing. We both agreed that we probably wouldn't be sitting in our apartments with shitty jobs today. But what can you do?
We missed the train at that time but hopefully we will catch it this time. hehe


What do you expect from your CD today? The scene has changed in the last 20 years for sure!

That someone will buy it, and that we get some good response. It's not easy to sell alot of albums nowadays, as it were before. But I think metalheads are pretty supportive though.
And that is really important for the bands..


Nevertheless this album is amazing, so please give me some details about it!

Oh thanks alot! It's old material in it's best that I made in the early 90's, that never was released. I found the material a few years ago and decided to re-record it. After releasing two demos, I chose the best songs from those to and recorded them again for the fullength, plus one new song. And I got help from a real drummer this time, and also the legend Dan Swanö to mix it.


“Euthanasia” is a variation of the main theme of the horrorflick “Phantasm.” Why do you like those kinds of stories?

I have always liked horror movies, so it was natural for me to make such sounds. I had alot of fun making it. I like creepy melodies and sounds. If i make a melody everything else comes naturally and it always become pretty cool.. hehe


It seems you are not impressed about much of today’s new kinds of “metal” these – metalcore, deathcore, etc. Why do you walk the old – school way ?

That's correct. I don't care for that kind of music. It's too modern and everything has to be so technical and too melodic like In Flames.
The cliché that everything was better before is something I live up to and believe in 100%.


What will you do in order to prevent the band from splitting up again, like it did the first time?

There's not much I can do, just fill the holes if someone leaves the band. But I don't think anyone will do it, I hope.


The album includes a classic and morbid intro. Who has written that monotone melody and where are the screams and other noises from?

Hehe, I made it quite quickly, because I needed some cool intro, and something that reflected the album cover. I think I managed to do it pretty well. The victims and the zombiekillers want´s to be anonymous, haha.


How do you manage to write songs that have those harsh down-tuned riffs, yet still have melody?

Well, after listening to good old bands like Slayer, Venom, Hellhammer etc, until the death metal came into my life around 1990, I did a mix with all those bands and the death metal bands like Entombed, Nihilist etc, and got the right sound for Entrails. The melody comes along in the mixture between those all influences thru the years of all music I think..


Why is Dan Swanö the best man who could give your music that venerable sound? (stupid question…probably)?

He knows death metal and how it should sound. He has been around since the early days, so no one knows it better. He was the best of the ones that tried to mix the album, of course. No hard decision there.


How many old songs do you have and will they be released at some point?

Wow, I think I have around 15-20 songs left to choose from, before I dig deeper into my box to find more, hehe.


What do you say to people who persist in saying ENTRAILS is a copy of DISMEMBER, CARNAGE and co.?


Well, I can only say thanks and take it as a compliment, because that's how Entrails wanted to sound like in the old days, and still of course.

Tell me about your relationship to Rico and FDA REKOTZ. Why is he the right man to promote ENTRAILS?

A really cool guy that gave us the possibility to release our first album. He has promoted us well and we have reached out more that I thought we would. I'm satisfied with his work. He has also put together a minitour in Germany in November, that will be awesome.
And if you miss it... ITS YOUR PROBLEM. hehe


How important is morbid feeling and deranged lyrics in to the music you play?

It's important, of course. It must be a terrifying and morbid feeling in the lyrics. It goes natural with the music. And play DM without that sort of theme is not very cool.


Is it easy to orient oneself in the scene of today, to find a place for a “new” band? The laws of the marked have changed a lot I think!

Yeah, it's quite difficult. You have to be out playing every weekend to get yourself a name that people remembers. And we will hopefully do more shows later on..


Do you miss the old days? Are the challenges of today different than in the past?

I miss it a little bit. There are so many things I'd do different. But I'm satisfied anyway.
Hard to tell... but sure there a challenges in all kinds of ways I think.


Last spot is yours

Keep buying our album, merchendise and come to our shows in November! We will bring you hell in the shape of Entrails!
A new album is planned, and will be recorded this winter, Hopefully

http://www.myspace.com/entrailsreborn is were you can find us

Only death is real!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment